u.s.-saudi relations
September 15, 2019

In response to drone attacks on an oil site in Saudi Arabia on Saturday, President Trump tweeted on Sunday evening that there is "reason to believe that we know the culprit," and the United States is "locked and loaded depending on verification."

Trump said he is "waiting to hear from [Saudi Arabia] as to who they believe was the cause of this attack, and under what terms we would proceed!" Oil prices rose sharply over the weekend, and Trump said he has authorized the release of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve "if needed."

The extent of damage to the Aramco site is unknown, as reporters are being kept from the area. Aramco, Saudi Arabia's national petroleum and natural gas company, said the attacks curtailed output by 5.7 million barrels a day. The Houthi rebels in Yemen, backed by Iran, claimed responsibility for the attacks, but Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday there is "no evidence the attacks came from Yemen." He instead placed the blame on Iran, accusing the country of facilitating an "unprecedented attack on the world's energy supply." Iran denies the allegations. Catherine Garcia

July 30, 2019

On Monday, the Senate fell well short of the 67 votes needed to override President Trump's vetoes on three resolutions that would block arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. The Senate had passed the three resolutions in June, with seven Republicans voting in favor, after the Trump administration said it would use emergency powers to sell arms to Saudi Arabia without congressional approval. Monday's votes — 45 to 40 in favor, 45 to 39, and 46 to 41 — drew support from six Republican senators. Seven Democrats missed the vote, including six who are running for president.

This is the second time the Senate has failed to override Trump's veto on a bill targeting Saudi Arabia, after it fell short in May on a resolution to end U.S. military support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen.

The Senate unanimously condemned Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman last year for the murder of U.S.-based Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, but the failure to override Trump's vetoes "reflects a pervasive split in the Republican Party about how forcefully its members are willing to challenge Trump's embrace of Saudi leaders," The Washington Post reports. Despite bipartisan concerns about U.S.-Saudi ties, Politico adds, "the majority of Senate Republicans view the kingdom as a key counterbalance to Iran's influence in the Middle East."

The Senate now has few routes left to challenge Trump's support for Saudi Arabia. Last week, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee cleared a measure co-authored by Sens. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Todd Young (R-Ind.) that would impose a moratorium on all non-defensive arms sale to Saudi Arabia, over the objections of committee Chairman James Risch (R-Idaho). Risch had backed a weaker bill supported by the White House, and he has advised Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) not to hold a vote on the tougher measure his committee passed, calling it futile given Trump's likely veto. Peter Weber

June 18, 2019

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has decided to ignore experts' findings and keep Saudi Arabia off a U.S. list of countries that recruit children as soldiers, four sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Although experts from the State Department recommended including Saudi Arabia the list based off news reports and assessments from human rights organizations which found that a Saudi-led coalition has hired children from Sudan to fight in Yemen's civil war, Pompeo decided to overrule them. The decision sparked immediate criticism, Reuters reports, from human rights activists and Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.), the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

The Trump administration has received criticism for prioritizing its own security and economic interests through its alliance with Saudi Arabia, while allegedly overlooking the kingdom's human rights record, and it's likely the latest news will compound that stance.

The argument against including Saudi Arabia on the list was reportedly because it was not clear whether the children recruited from Sudan to fight in Yemen were under the command of Sudanese officers or the Saudi-led coalition. In December, The New York Times reported that Sudanese fighters in Yemen said they took orders from Saudi and United Arab Emirates commanders. The Saudi-led coalition has denied the accusations and, in turn, accused its foes of recruiting children as soldiers. Read more at Reuters. Tim O'Donnell

See More Speed Reads