×
next up
November 8, 2018

The Trump administration has taken the next step toward barring migrants who illegally cross the border from claiming asylum.

President Trump announced changes to the asylum process in a press conference last week, saying he'd soon issue an executive order requiring asylum seekers to enter the U.S. at official ports of entry. All people caught crossing in other locations would be detained indefinitely, Trump said. The Justice Department published that change to the federal record on Thursday, but added that it won't be official until Trump issues a proclamation, likely on Friday, Bloomberg reports.

Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker and Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen released a statement introducing the rule change. In it, they said America's "asylum system is overwhelmed with too many meritless asylum claims" and claimed Trump has the "authority to suspend or restrict" any immigration into the U.S. based on "national interest." That authority is similar to what Trump cited to back up last year's travel ban, The Washington Post notes, so it's likely this proposal will also be challenged in court. The Immigration and Nationality Act says that anyone who arrives in the U.S. "whether or not at a designated port of arrival" may apply for asylum, reports CNN.

Thursday's plan doesn't explicitly apply to just Central American migrants, per the Post. But Trump did tie the proposal to the "caravan" of Central American migrants headed toward the border in his press conference, claiming the military was building facilities at the border to detain the group. The Pentagon countered, saying the military isn't building any detention facilities. Read the entire massive asylum change here. Kathryn Krawczyk

October 9, 2018

U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley's unexpected resignation sent speculators scrambling to uncover her replacement. Several signs are pointing to former Deputy National Security Adviser Dina Powell.

On Tuesday, Haley announced she'd be stepping down by January, writing in her resignation letter that she would give President Trump time to appoint and the Senate time to confirm a replacement. It looks like Trump has a head start on that process, with CNBC reporting that White House officials have already talked to Powell about taking the role, and Trump telling reporters Tuesday that Powell is "under consideration."

Powell spent less than a year as Trump's deputy national security adviser, leaving on good terms in January to be closer to her family in New York City and take a job at Goldman Sachs. The U.N. ambassadorship is, perhaps not so coincidentally, also based in New York. One problem: Powell's policy positions "do not line up with" National Security Adviser John Bolton's, Politico's Nancy Cook pointed out.

Still, Trump has "many names" to consider for the role, he told reporters Tuesday. He even somewhat jokingly said there wasn't "anybody more competent in the world" to take the job than his daughter Ivanka Trump. Unfortunately, choosing Ivanka would get him "accused of nepotism," Trump said. Another realistic choice might be Richard Grenell, the current ambassador to Germany who Trump ally Andrew Surabian has already called "the best choice to replace Nikki Haley." Kathryn Krawczyk

February 1, 2017

Former Vice President Joe Biden may have ended his chapter in politics, but he's not done fighting for the causes he believes in. On Wednesday, Biden and his wife Jill Biden will launch a nonprofit organization to continue the work Biden did in his decades in government.

The Biden Foundation will focus on cancer research, military families, education, and the prevention of sexual assault. "We look forward to this new chapter where we will continue our work to ensure that everyone — no matter their income level, race, gender, age, or sexuality — is treated with dignity and gets a fair shot at achieving the American Dream," the Bidens said in a statement.

The foundation is incorporated in Biden's home state of Delaware, but it will be headquartered in Washington, D.C. Former Biden Senate staffer and Facebook official Louisa Terrell will run the foundation. Becca Stanek

March 31, 2016

Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. may soon be adding hamburgers to its repertoire. The Denver-based chain filed a trademark application for "Better Burger" earlier this month, indicating that the company might still be going ahead with its burger-making plans announced last July despite its ongoing recovery from a food-safety crisis.

"It's a growth seed idea we are exploring," Chipotle spokesman Chris Arnold told Bloomberg. “We have two non-Chipotle growth seeds open now — ShopHouse [Southeast Asian Kitchen] and Pizzeria Locale — and have noted before that the Chipotle model could be applied to a wide variety of foods." Both Chipotle's pizza and Southeast Asian cuisine chains only have a few locations at this point, but The Wall Street Journal reports that they are expanding. Burgers, similarly, have the potential to be a profitable venture for Chipotle as the category grows and beef prices continue to drop, Bloomberg reports.

Profitability is something Chipotle needs to see right now, too. Since the chains suffered a series of E. coli and norovirus outbreaks last year that prompted an investigation by the Centers for the Disease Control and Prevention, its stocks have taken a hit. Same-store sales fell another 26 percent in February and the company has told shareholders it's expecting to report a sales loss in this year's first quarter. Becca Stanek

See More Speed Reads